Monday, September 19, 2011

Count Down

Lately I have been doing crossfit workouts at lunch. They have two lunchtime classes that fit my schedule one on Mon and one on Fri. These workouts are not for the faint of heart. Today's workout is below

Warm Up
400 meter run
50 Double Unders (Jumping rope - Send the rope under twice on each jump)
20 Free squats
20 Scorpions
20 Cow Grazers (a type of stretch)
15 Pushups
10 Push presses with the bar only
15 Pullups (5 Strick, 5 Wide Grip, 5 Kipping) - Kipping means using a leg swing


WOD - Workout Of the Day( no rest between sets)
10 reps Snatch Balance
10 Kipping Pullups

9 reps Snatch Balance
9 Kipping Pullups

8 reps Snatch Balance
8 Kipping Pullups

7 reps Snatch Balance
7 Kipping Pullups

6 reps Snatch Balance
6 Kipping Pullups

5 reps Snatch Balance
5 Kipping Pullups

4 reps Snatch Balance
4 Kipping Pullups

3 reps Snatch Balance
3 Kipping Pullups

2 reps Snatch Balance
2 Kipping Pullups

1 reps Snatch Balance
1 Kipping Pullup

Post workout workout
As many handstand pushups as you can do in 3 min. I did 17, time was not really a factor for me on the handstand pushups. I simply didnt have anything left in my shoulders.

Snatch balance - Start in traditional squat position with the weight on your shoulders and a wide grip on the bar. In one motion drop underneath the weight lowering your hips to the point where your butt almost touches your heals. While you are dropping you are pushing the weight upwards so your finishing position is a deep deep squat with an overhead press. From there drive back up to a standing position and lower the weight back down to your shoulders.

The workout was pretty intense. While we were working out we had an observer come in to check out class. I doubt she will be coming back. I really like the crossfit workouts but I honestly dont know how they stay in business. So far all of the workouts have been extremely challenging. I really dont see a beginner walking in off the street and making it through a typical workout. For me the workouts are perfect. They tend to average about twice the time of a typical BJJ or Judo match and I am usually going at about 95% the entire time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of crossfit! Always a challenge, never boring and the perfect compliment to my bjj training. Doesn't the gym offer modified version of the exercies, eg bands for the pullups, single jumps instead of double unders, etc.? Our Crossfit Box offers several different modifications so we have Crossfitters at every age, size and ability. I think the strong mindset is more important than the physical stamina.

    By the way, are you watching the Crossfit games on ESPN2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jenn They do the modifications you are talking about with the bands for assisted pull ups and lighter weights for those in less then peak condition. I just think most of the movements are too advanced and too difficult for the average person starting a fittness program. I do agree with you that the workouts are great for BJJ, Judo or any other grappling arts but most people in the grappling world are in much better shape then the average bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. crossfit and olympic lifts are what i supplement for judo/bjj tournaments.

    same for my mma fights. good stuff. truly gets you in much better overall shape than just grappling/training.

    ReplyDelete