Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Time

I have decided NOT to compete in Pan Ams this year. There are two main issues at play, time and money. Money is an issue but really TIME is the major factor. For me to justify flying across the country to compete with some of the best in the country I really need to feel like I am FULLY prepared. I can live with losing to someone who is better (however you define better). What I have an issue with is losing because I am not prepared. In order to feel prepared I would need to train at least 4 days per week with some 5 or 6 day weeks and workout at least 5 days per week. The reality is I can barely train 2 to 3 times a week right now and I am lucky if I lift 3 times a week. Sorry, but training twice a week and lifting twice a week just wont get it done for Pan Ams.

The really frustrating part is I wont have MORE time next year, or the year after that or the year after that....the harsh reality is with each passing year I have less and less time. My wife thinks I should just train as much as I can and go, but I would not be happy going and losing when I am not prepared. To me that is worse then just not going.

I still have the New York open on my calendar. I can get my lunch time workouts in, train as much as I can, lift as much as I can and justify a 2 or 3 hour car ride much more easily then a $1,000 trip across the country for a single elimination tournament.

Since I am punting Pan Ams I am going to put the extra focus on getting my Judo work in. I am not big on new years resolutions, but one of my goals for this year is to get my Black Belt in Judo so I need to make Judo tournaments as they become available.

On the immediate horizon will be the Maryland Open on January 15th. There are other bigger Judo tournaments in Jan that would be better to go to, but this is the one I can make.

For Feb I have my eye on Tech Judo on Feb 6th and The Good Fight on Feb 19th (BJJ), but those are not "on the calendar yet".

6 comments:

  1. I think you are making the right decision staying home and training. 100 points to you for being honest with yourself, and your wife. You can't imagine the number of people who tell themselves they have trained hard, spend $1,000 and are out of the tournament in 45 seconds. My recommendation for those people is, hey, if you have $1,000 to spend on a weekend vacation, it's all good. If not, spend the money on a training camp closer to home, spend the time off work getting to more practices.

    Tell your wife she should be grateful she married a smart, honest guy. (You have an endorsement in writing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the judo goal. Sounds like tough decisions were made, but I'm sure they were the right decisions. (Jen)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Dr thanks, I may have her pay you a visit in person :)

    @ Family - Yeah, sometimes taking an honest look at reality is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sucks to hear that. Let's look to NY Open and doing well there, or at least having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh, Eric...I have been struggling with this problem with myself. School is going to dominate my life (as it should) for the next year and a half. I really can't train as much as I'd like except when I'm on breaks so by the time I feel like I'm really making progress and am in good shape, it's time to get back to work. Instead of putting off competing until May 2012, I'm going to do like you are and try to have quality practices and keep up my conditioning when I can't make class.

    And I'm excited for you to reach your goal this year to get your black belt! If you ever feel like an abnormally short uke will help you with this, I'm here for you, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Lori and Lex, thank you both for your continued support and kind words. I am really looking forward to preparing for the New York open and taking advantage of as many hard practices as we can handle. Lots of exciting changes this year that will be great for everyone!

    ReplyDelete